Starr Research and Fieldhouse Research Fellowships
DEADLINE: Thursday, November 18, 2010
IIT graduate students are invited to apply for the Starr Research Fellowship and the Fieldhouse Research Fellowship. Each fellowship provides up to $15,000 for one year and can be used for tuition support and stipend. The fellowships are NOT renewable, but may be supplemented by funding from other sources.
The fellowships are made possible through a generous donation from the Starr Foundation and IIT’s capital campaign match to honor Irv Fieldhouse, who until his death in 2005 had been an active member of the IIT-IITRI community for over 40 years. To enhance Mr. Fieldhouse’s commitment for developing joint research projects, both fellowships target research that leads to cooperation between IIT and IIT Research Institute (IITRI), National Center for Food Safety and Technology (NCFST), Fermilab or Argonne National Laboratory (ANL).
IIT students (domestic and international) currently enrolled in a Master of Science or Doctoral program in the following departments: AM, BCPS, BME, CAEE, CHBE, CS, ECE, or MMAE. The student must be nominated by an IIT faculty member. (see below for faculty member eligibility)
The Fellows are required to pursue advanced study and research under faculty guidance; support faculty and their external advisors in specific research projects; and make their own contributions to academe through writing and research.
Eligibility of Advisor: Tenured-track Assistant Professor or above, from AM, BCPS, BME, CAEE, CHBE, CS, ECE, or MMAE. The IIT advisor should recommend the contact and initiate the communication with IITRI, NCFST, Fermilab or ANL.
- A completed application form
- A Proposed Plan for Research describing the proposed work, its novelty and importance, and its impact on collaboration between IIT and IITRI, NCFST or ANL
- Previous Research Experience form.
- Three letters of recommendation. (1) from the IIT research advisor; (1) from the external research advisor; and (1) other reference. Please include the Reference Report Form (2 pages) for each reference.
- Copies of college transcripts (duplicates of transcripts submitted to IIT and IIT transcripts, as applicable).
The Application Form and the Reference Report Form can be downloaded from the following website:
DEADLINE: Please submit the complete application package by Thursday, November 18, 2010 to:
Room 301 H Main Building