Initial Academic Advising for All New Graduate Students
- The detailed description of the degree programs
can be found at our department web site
- You can find the class schedule and math course offering
at IIT's main website
under the ACADEMICS tab, select "Class Schedules",
or you can directly go to the link https://my102.iit.edu/banr/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched.
- You can find the tentative 4-year plan of course offering
and the course syllabi (including textbooks)
at our departmental web site as well
- To register classes, login to https://my.iit.edu,
click 'Academic' tab on the menu, select 'add or drop classes'.
If you have questions regarding to registering classes, check
the Registrar website
- You need to fill out the Plan of Study form (Form G401)
within your first semester at IIT. Your choices of future courses need
not to be exact as you can make changes before you graduate by filling out
the form of Change in Plan of Study (Form G406). Both forms are
- If you are an international student and if your TOEFL score
is not high enough, you should have been asked to take English assessment.
- There are few on-campus jobs. Our department might need a few graders
to help grade undergraduate math homework. It pays about $10 per hour.
If you are interested, contact Dr. David Maslanka (email@example.com)
by sending him an email message. Make sure you tell him you are a new MAS or MS
student in our department.
- There is a Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) at the IIT's
Graduate College website, where you can find answers about registration,
tuition payment, etc. Here is link
to the FAQ.
- There are lots of information about your graduate study including
the information on our graduate programs on the Graduate Bulletin. This
book is available online at
You can get a hard copy of this book (free) at the Graduate Admission Office
located in Room 203 of Perlstein Hall. If there is any discrepency between
the published bulletin and our department web site, the department web site is the most updated one.
- Join SIAM(Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics)
for free. We have
SIAM Student Chapter at IIT.
Additional Initial Advising For MS or PhD Students Only
- One of the degree requirement is to take MATH 593, a zero credit-hour
departmental colloquia course, at least twice for MS students and at least
6 times for PhD students. We strongly recommend you register MATH 593
in your first semester so that you can find an area for the thesis.
- For getting a MS degree, the comprehensive examination requirement is fulfilled by a Masters thesis (5 to 8 credit hours of MATH 591), under the supervision of a faculty member, or by passing written tests in three of the five core courses, namely, Applied Analysis I (MATH 500), Computational Mathematics I (MATH 577), Discrete Applied Mathematics I (MATH 553), Probability (MATH 540) and Statistics (MATH 563).
We strongly recommend
colloquium and seminars to learn the research of our faculty,
as well as visit their web sites. You should start to work on your thesis
after you complete two semesters at IIT if not earlier.
I am your initial advisor and your academic advisor will be your thesis
- If you are a new TA, you need to register for the TA training class
Summer Interns and Programs
Career and Job Related Web Sites