||segre [at] iit.edu
||166a Life Sciences Building
||Thursday 15:30-17:00, Room 111 Life Sciences
Become familiar with the major research trends, with the institutions
engaged in these activities, with the time scale involved in various
fields, and with the background of the speaker.
Learn of the applications of concepts in physics to technology,
medical science, and society at large.
Learn the structure of a public presentation of scientific work.
Demonstrate the ability to read and comprehend scientific
publications and to critique scientific presentations.
Grading for this course will be based on attendance and 2 journal article
summary papers to be assigned during the term.
- Students request the opportunity to write a journal article
summary paper by sending a proposed journal article by email
to the course instructor after 18:00 on the day of the Colloquium.
- Journal articles must be related to the colloquium topic or speaker.
- The papers are to be at least 2 pages, double spaced, with
references and figures when appropriate.
- Besides summarizing the journal article, the paper may also
critique the research.
- Proper citation for all quotations, figures, and supporting
material is required.
- Papers are due two weeks after being assigned.
- Papers must be submitted to the appropriate "Paper" Assignment on
|Academic Honesty Policy:
IIT has a Code of Conduct which is available at
http://www.iit.edu/student_affairs/handbook/pdfs/HANDBOOK_2010_11.pdf (see page 31).
All students in this course are expected to follow this code.
The first violation will result in a grade of "zero" for that
assignment (exam or quiz). Subsequent violations will result
in a failing grade in the course.