This lesson was created as a part of the SMART website and is hosted by the Illinois Institute of Technology
This is a new Web page. This site will help you with your homework.
Parents and students may use this site to help with homework, and to create
assignments at home.
Here are some examples of lessons that you can do at home.
Find a recipe that uses fractions . If the recipe serves 4 people decrease it by 2.
You must decide whether to subtract or divide.
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ ÷2=
Look for numbers in the newspaper with decimals and put them in order from
the greatest to least. Next round them to the nearest tenths, hundredths and thousandths
459.1597, 8831.04621, 758.00129, 125.4578
There are many items around the house that you can measure. First you can find the length and width of a table,
next measure the height of a door.
Tips for Helping Your Child with Homework
* Provide a nice, quiet place that is free from distractions. (Turn off the television, music and video games.)
* Have a set time. (It's a good idea to have your child do homework as soon as he or she gets home. Ideas are still fresh on the mind.)
* Provide a light snack your child can eat before starting. (This is work! Your kid needs energy.)
* Keep the kiddies away, and Jack, the dog, too. (If there are little siblings around, teach them to respect the important work the older child doing. Oh, about Jack. Keeping the dog away will guarantee that I won't hear that old sob story, "My dog ate my homework.")
* Homework should usually take no longer than one-half hour. (If more time is used, check to see if there is a problem. Remember, homework is practice. The work has already been discussed in class and there should be notes and examples in the student's notebook.)
* Don't forget study time. (I always stress that there is a difference between doing homework and studying. Students may study and review their work at anytime, that includes weekends.
Thank You 4 Your Help and Support.
PLEASE CLICK TO GET MORE INFORMATION FROM LINKS:
Back to the SMART home page.