Using Your Senses
Return to Biology Index
Daniels, Elizabeth A. Collins High School
To use your senses in identifying unknown substances.
Apparatus and Materials
1. Nutmeg 8. Spinach
2. Cloves 9. Corn Meal
3. Cardimis 10. Lime Gelatin
5. Grits 11. Banana Nectar
6. Baking Soda 12. Parsley Flakes
7. Carrot Juice 13. Light Corn Syrup
Blackboard and Chalk
Substances other than the ones listed may be substituted.
1. Review the following terms: Observation, Identifying characteristics, Categorized.
2. Discuss the meaning of the word Observation using a "gimmick" which will help lead
into discussion on methods used in "Observing things". Students responded
positively to the use of a Santa Claus Hat worn by the teacher. The teacher may
use any object that will help initiate the "Observation Process."
3. Senses identified and used by students during class discussion and Lab Experiment
are the following:
4. Students worked in groups of 3's in observing substances listed under Apparatus
Materials using the senses listed above.
5. Each group of students will receive eight substances to observe. Students will
record results on a prepared Lab-Sheet.
Things you should Observe and Record:
Number of substance used
Name of substance?
Students will discuss "Observations" and "Substance Identification" after the
experiment has been completed.