Return to Biology Index
Patricia H. Haynes Wirth Elementary School
4959 S Blackstone Ave.
Chicago IL 60615
To learn how different plants grow under certain conditions. To describe
several uses of seed plants. The students will identify different seeds.
To plant the seeds and watch them grow. Watch for the seven requirements
for growing plants indoors:
1. Room to grow
Seeds, bulbs, potting soil, quart Ziploc sandwich bags, water, 2-liter
bottles, scissors and decorations (optional). Mature plants, as examples are
1. Fill plastic bag 3/4 of the way with good moist soil (a pot may also be
2. Select seed.
3. Plant seed about 1/16 of an inch deep.
4. Water plant with light spray. Set in sunny window.
5. The students may draw the plants as they grow.
6. Measure the stem and root growth each day and graph.
Students will be able to:
1. Understand that plants will grow only under certain conditions
that are compatible to each species;
2. Identify different seeds;
3. Observe their indoor gardens's growth;
4. Name the seven requirements for growing plants indoors.