Tony's Tiger BITES
Return to Mathematics Index
Maudestine McLeary John Hope
5515 S. Lowe
Chicago, Illinois 60620
Given a recipe the student will be able to make equivalent fractions, follow
directions and complete the recipe.
recipe for Tony's Tiger Bites
4-quart mixing bowl
waxed paper if needed
Using the list of ingredients in the given recipe the student will
calculate the amount needed to make twice the recipe, 3 times the recipe,
1/2 of the recipe and 1/4 of the recipe.
1. review multiplication and division of fractions
2. make equivalent fractions 3x, 2x, 1/2, and 1/4 of the recipe
3. review kitchen safety rules
4. follow recipe to serve 32 Tony's Tiger Bites
5. ENJOY FINISHED PRODUCT
1 10-ounce package (about 40) regular marshmallows
1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup peanut butter
7 1/2 cups or one 10-ounce package Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal
1. In a 4-quart microwavable bowl, melt marshmallows and margarine
on High for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
2. Stir in peanut butter until mixture is smooth. Add Kellogg's Frosted
Flakes cereal, stirring until well coated.
3. Using a buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture into a
lightly greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Cut into 1 1/2x2-inch bars.
Note: Use fresh marshmallows for best results.
Range-Top Method: Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add
marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Follow steps
2 and 3 above.
Follow up activity will be to check the nutritional value and percentage of U.S.
Recommended Daily Allowances.